Tuesday, September 7, 2010

How To Save A Life

Today!!! Several things, but the most interesting:
I donated blood. I had no intention of doing so, but I was motivated by two things:
#1 There was a table of cookies waiting to be devoured by the donors.
#2 There was a cute boy sitting behind the table of cookies waiting to be devoured.
(I'm a sucker for cookies)
So, I donated. It was definitely an experience. I had to read a whole packet of information, things like why donating is important, what they do with the blood after they take it, things that you have to do before you donate, and then I had to fill out like 3 questionnaires.
Stuff like, have you taken this medication in the last 24 hours, are you feeling healthy today, stuff like that.
Then, onto the donating part. I got swabbed down with iodine, and prepped with a squeezing ball thing so the nurse could find the right vein. Then she wrapped a band around my arm and got her needle. At this point, I won't lie, I was really nervous. I don't think myself frightened of
needles but....I was nervous.
I took one look at how big that needle was and almost blacked out.
My new friend Whitney was standing next to my chair, and later after it was over she made the comment that at that moment I looked very much like I was about to pass out.
But I didn't. I stayed concious. Go me!
I sat in that chair for about 15, 20 minutes, very determinedly not looking at my right arm.
While I was sitting I kept making fun of Whitney because she didn't want to give blood, I'd say,
"So Whitney! How many lives have you saved today? Oh, what's that? None?! Shame."
She's such a sport, she took it with a smile.
Finally it was over, and I got a sticker that said, "I Make A Difference. American Red Cross."
I stuck it on the very front of my shirt.
I also got 3 cookies and 2 cups of juice. I was hungry!
(And a couple smiles from the very cute boy behind the table:)
Today was also my first day as a senior! It was a very very long day. I think I'm a little bit anxious for the year to actually start. First days are always full of stupid rule junk, nothing really important. But I've discovered I'm going to be very busy in my English, Economics, Government, Math, Choir, and Theater classes.
Oh is that all? Jeez...
But I'm still excited. It's my last year, I'm definitely going to have fun! Homecoming is in the next week or so!

No comments:

Post a Comment